Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What are the odds?

I'm sure by now we are all well acquainted with this question in class. As I reflected on the question I began to think back to Iphigeneia at Aulis. What really got me thinking was something my father said to me. My dad was born in Miles City and on Monday as I left class I got a text message from my sister telling me that Miles City was on fire, a whole block had gone up in flames. I called my dad and he said, "wow what are the odds of that?" I obviously answered one-in-three. He quickly dismissed my answer and started pondering what string of events could have set the fire in motion. Actually I believe his exact words were, "huh, I wonder how it started." Well regardless that got me thinking about the string of events that happened so fatefully in Iphigeneia at Aulis: Agamemnon sends a messenger to tell his wife that the wedding plans were no longer so that she didn't have to be killed, but as fate would have it Menelaos stops the old man from delivering the message and his daughter Iphigeneia comes anyway. Little did Agamemnon know that he was killing himself and his wife in the process. Later his wife kills him for allowing their daughter to be sacrificed and after that his son murders his mother to avenge his father's death. Wow what a turn of events. So I wonder how that fire started, or how anything for that matter happens? Is it fate that drives our vehicles of life? How many times have people looked back and wished they had done something else, even something very minute, sometimes it's the small things that really count.

No comments:

Post a Comment